Monday, July 11, 2016

Book Review of Candid by Michelle Pennington



It’s like Candid Camera meets Extreme Makeover High School Edition

I was hooked on Candid by Michelle Pennington from page one and couldn’t put it down. The storyline is like Candid Camera meets Extreme Makeover High School Edition (that is a thing, right? It should be!). The main character, Sienna sees things through her lens that other people miss. She uses her photography skills to display less-popular peers in a way that changes student body perception.

Unfortunately, change usually involves growing pains. And BOY does she cause problems. Thankfully, there’s a BOY involved in the story and he is hot! In any YA story, the guy has to be hot and he has to find the geeky wallflower girl beautiful. Candid is no exception.

Michelle’s writing style is great and the character development was well-done. Rather than have Sienna say “I’m so clumsy I couldn’t even open the gate,” Michelle shows Sienna fumbling with the latch, juggling her equipment and ultimately falling on her face in front of a stadium of people. And that’s just page one. Michelle introduces each new character slowly and with description. When I grow up, I wanna be just like her!

I loved Candid so much, I started immediately into the next book in the series, Focused. It was just as good, and I’ll post a review of it in a few days. Have you read Candid by Michelle Pennington? What’s your opinion? –Julie L. Spencer


Read the second book in the series, Focused by Michelle Pennington:



No comments: