Monday, January 29, 2018

Buxton Peak: London Bridges - Chapter One

“Is this seat taken?” A sweet voice with a Southern-American accent pulled Andy from his contemplative state. He hid behind dark sunglasses as he glanced up and found an angel hovering in the late afternoon haze.
“Depends on who’s asking,” Andy said. He wasn’t disguising his identity per se, but wasn’t flaunting himself in public either. He had stepped off the radar for four months and was curious how his visit to London would unfold. The girl’s friends were waiting for her to pull up the extra chair. “I’m just teasing. You’re welcome to borrow the chair… as long as you bring it back in a little while.”
“Will you be needing it any time soon?” She glanced around the little outdoor café, which was nearly empty this late in the afternoon. Her sparkling brown eyes hosted a hint of flirting as she smiled down at him. She looked to be about college-age so she was plenty old enough for him. He had to be careful now that he was twenty-two. Flirting with teenagers was flirting with disaster. Her southern drawl pulled him back to the present. “Are you waiting for anyone?”
“Just an old friend,” Andy said. He leaned a little closer to her.
The scraping of metal on concrete caused Andy to dig his nails into his palms and dragged his attention away, breaking the connection with the flirtatious young lady from America.
“Speak of the devil.” Andy reached across the table and gripped his band mate’s hand. “Gary, good to see you, pal.”
“Am I interrupting something?” Gary raised his eyebrows and glanced up at the girl, who still had one hand on the back of the extra chair.
“I don’t know…” Andy smirked and drew his gaze back up at the pretty, southern belle. “I was just about to gather the courage to ask her name when I was so rudely interrupted.”
“Oh… my… gosh!” …and, here it comes. One of the other girls at the table made the connection. That didn’t take long.
“Can’t go anywhere with you, mate.” Andy leaned across the table, teasing his best friend in a theater whisper.
“It’s your own fault,” Gary said, shaking his head and leaning back in his chair. “You’re the one who invited me.”
“Might as well just push the two tables together and buy them lunch,” Andy teased.
“You’re payin’ right?” Gary asked.
“Would someone please explain to me what’s going on?” The angel looked back and forth between her friend and the guys.
“Ask your girlfriend,” Andy said, nodding his head in that direction. “She seems to have figured it out.”
“These are two of the guys from Buxton Peak!” The friend got animated and shifted her chair closer, scraping across the concrete. Andy gritted his teeth.
“Did we visit Buxton?” another girl asked. She cocked her head to the side. “That wasn’t the day I was plastered, was it?”
“Gee, that narrows it down to pretty much half our vacation,” the angel interjected.
“Not Buxton the town, you silly girl,” the first friend piped back in. “These guys are from that smokin’ hot boy band called Buxton Peak.”
“We are not a boy band,” Gary and Andy said at the same time.
“We’re a rock band,” Andy said, removing his sunglasses and finally looking at the angel straight in the face. He stood up, scraping the chair on concrete again and cringing at the sound. He reached out his hand. “Andy Smith, pleasure to make your acquaintance.”
“Oh my goodness, he even talks adorable.” The friend gushed on, but Andy didn’t release the brunette’s hand, nor pull his eyes from hers.
“I’m Vanessa,” she finally whispered, tilting her head to the side with a tiny swish of her hips that was almost a curtsey. Andy could picture her on the veranda of a plantation in a sundress and floppy hat. “The pleasure is all mine.”
“Is it?” He raised his eyebrows. Andy reached over and touched the top of her chair without releasing her gaze. “I believe this chair is available… would you care to join us?”
“We would love to join you,” the friend said. She dragged her chair across the concrete toward Gary’s side of the table. “I’m Sue Ellen… and you… are Gary Owens.”
“Guilty as charged,” Gary said. He wrapped his arm across the back of her chair.
“Your drum solos are… oh my gosh… I’m gettin’ all fluttery inside.” Sue Ellen waved her hand in front of her face like she was hiding behind a coy, accordion fan. Andy wasn’t sure if he should laugh at her or be incredibly turned on. He chose to give his attention back to Vanessa and allow Sue Ellen to ensnare Gary into her southern charms.
“What about you… Vanessa,” Andy asked. “Are you a Buxton Peak fan?”
“I suddenly have a strong desire to stream a few of your songs just to help me decide.” She swept her long curls over her shoulder.
“Aren’t you the guys who brought that geeky chick up onstage?” the drunk friend asked, scraping her metal chair across the concrete. “Your lead singer wrote a song for his wife, right? I saw the YouTube video.” Her rhetorical question hung in the air.
“Gary, help me out.” Andy walked around to the other side of their little table, afraid if he didn’t move the table himself one of the girls would scrape it across the concrete like the chairs. He didn’t think his nerves could handle any more.
Everyone moved back and Gary helped Andy pick up the little table, connecting the two so they were now one group of five. Andy sat back down next to Vanessa and pinched the bridge of his nose.
“Please no more scraping metal against concrete. Whoever designed this outdoor café apparently didn’t have a problem with nails on chalkboards.”
“Gee Andy, how’s sobriety treating you?” Gary chuckled and raised his eyebrows.
“It sucks! How ‘bout you?”
“Worst three days of my life,” Gary said, a teasing glint in his eyes.
“Please tell me you’re joking.” Andy got serious. He creased his eyebrows and leaned closer. “You promised.”
“Of course I’m joking,” Gary said. His eyes pierced daggers at Andy. “I stayed in for the whole retched thirty days… twice.”
“Seriously?” Andy could see right through Gary’s typical sullen expression that his eyes were clear. He appeared more sober than Andy had seen him in years.
“Quitin’ straight up ain’t as easy as they make it sound, pal.” Gary shoved sunglasses on his face, sat back in his chair and crossed his ankles. “Sorry I asked.”
“Gosh…” the drunk friend cocked her head to the side. “Who’s up for a round of shots?”
“Not funny, Melanie,” Vanessa said, glaring at her friend.
“How about if I buy us a round of sweet ice tea,” Andy faked a girly accent. “Just like y’all have ‘em in the south.”
“That sounds delightful,” Vanessa drawled. “Thank you.”
“The pleasure’s all mine,” Andy copied her earlier sentiment, then leaned closer to Vanessa. He switched back to his regular British accent. “Believe me… the pleasure is all mine.”
The waitress noticed the change in seating arrangement and arrived with a little pad of paper.
“Ladies, order anything you want,” Gary announced. “Andy’s picking up the tab. What else is he going to spend his money on besides pretty American girls.”
“I can’t think of anything.” Andy shook his head in mock seriousness. He looked up at the waitress and winked “I could tip our waitress a little extra, I suppose.”
“You just add your autograph to the bill and we’ll call it good,” the waitress teased.
“How about if I pay with my new credit card and then we’ll kill two birds with one stone?”
“You got a credit card?” Gary asked. “How’d you get so lucky?”
“Jeremy gave it to me,” Andy said. “He didn’t give you one? What kind of a manager is he?”
“Probably afraid of what I might buy. He’s still mad at me about the Bentley.”
“You bought a Bentley?” Andy pushed himself back from the table. “How much did that set you back?”
“I dunno… like, one-seventy, I think.” Gary shrugged. “I don’t know what he was so upset about. It wasn’t even vintage. It was like a 2011 or something.”
“That was a nice year,” Andy acknowledged. “Convertible?”
“Uh huh.” Gary nodded, a smirk playing at the corners of his mouth.
“What color?”
“Metallic silver.” Gary’s smirk was a full-on grin.
“Can I drive it?”
“It’s at my mum’s.” Gary wrinkled his nose and fiddled with the napkin holder. “They took it away from me when I got my DUI.”
“Dork!”
“Why do you think I went back in rehab? They won’t let me have the keys until I can prove I’m clean.” Gary held up his fingers, making quotation marks in the air. “Whatever.”
“I take it you guys haven’t seen each other in awhile,” Vanessa guessed. Andy realized they were ignoring their new girlfriends. He leaned closer to her and wrapped an arm around the back of her chair.
“I’m curious,” Suellen said. “Why is it such a novelty for y’all to have credit cards? Everybody in the States has a credit card or two, or three.”
“Or in Suellen’s case, one for every department store,” Melanie piped in.
“Hey, a girl’s gotta shop.” Suellen blinked her eyelashes.
“I guess we’ve never needed credit cards before…” Andy looked over at Gary and they both shrugged.
“Our management team pays for everything,” Gary said. “I don’t even know how much stuff costs anymore.”
“I don’t know how much money we have, either,” Andy said.
“Isn’t that kinda irresponsible?” Vanessa asked.
“Suellen,” Andy asked Vanessa’s friend. “How often do you hear our songs on the radio?”
“All the time,” Suellen said. “I think your most recent hit, Passing through Eternity is still in the top 100.”
“I’m pretty sure I’m still a millionaire, then.” Andy turned his attention back to Vanessa with a smile.
“Did your band break up?” Melanie asked. She raised her eyebrows. “I mean, I saw the interview on that talk show with Kai and Ian, and their broads.” All attention shifted toward Melanie.
“What interview?” Andy asked.
“What talk show?” Gary creased his brow.
“That comedian, Eileen, asked if you two were in rehab,” Melanie pointed back and forth between Andy and Gary. “Ian said he had no idea because he was too distracted by that college geek he married.”
“That’s what happens when you wait your whole life for a chick,” Gary said. “When he finally got married, he didn’t want to climb back out of the sack.”
“Poor kid,” Andy said, shaking his head. “Preacher boy drove us all crazy with his commitment to purity.”
“Did he have a purity ring… like mine?” Vanessa held up her left hand and let the little diamond sparkle. She smirked at Andy and batted her eyelashes.
Andy looked up at the sky in mock prayer. “Why are you punishing me? I’ve been a good boy all my life.”
Gary started laughing and slapped his knee.
“Most of my life?” Andy lowered his gaze to Gary, begging with his eyes. “Some of my life? Oh, never mind… how do I get that thing off your hand?” He turned back to Vanessa with what he hoped was a pained puppy-dog expression.
“My daddy said whoever takes this off my finger better replace it with a diamond much bigger and prettier.” Vanessa held out her hand to admire the ring, but peered at Andy out from under her lashes.
“Waitress?” Andy held up his hand. “Are there any jewelry stores in the near vicinity?”
“Yes, there are…” She pointed toward the other side of the maill and Andy followed with his eyes to where she was indicating. Everyone at the table laughed. She lowered her hand and grinned down at them. “I thought you were serious.”
“I was completely serious.” Andy creased his brow and batted his puppy dog eyes at her. “Could we get our check please?”
“I haven’t even brought you your food, yet.”
“I guess we can wait until after dinner,” Andy said, turning to Vanessa. “If that’s alright with you, darlin’?”
“I suppose we could eat first.” Vanessa pouted. “I have gotten rather good at… waiting.”
The group at the table erupted in laughter again.


See where it all began:





Other Books by Julie L. Spencer


No comments: