Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Interview with the Author: Rachel John

After reviewing The Start of Us, I had the opportunity to interview Rachel John and ask her a few questions about her writing. Read my review here.

Rachel, thanks for joining us. Tell us a little about yourself and how you started writing.

I’ve always wanted to be an author. I’ve been writing and reading since childhood, but didn’t get serious about it until about five years ago when I realized Amazon had a publishing platform and everyone was moving to eBooks. My first novel, TheTruth About Running, is an LDS novel about college students and dodging the perfect person because you’re scared. Since then, I’ve written three more contemporary romance novels.

Well, I’ve loved everything I’ve read of yours. How do you come up with your ideas for stories?

Usually the characters come first. I tend to relate to reluctant females with quirky friends and a very patient, but dreamy guy ready to break them out of their shell. I know some authors come up with ideas from dreams they’ve had, but that is so not me, unless you count daydreaming! My dreams tend to be super boring, even when scary and stressful.

I’m one of those authors who turn my dreams into novels. But my daydreams turn into novels as well, so we have that in common. Let’s talk more about your new release, The Start of Us. Tell the readers about it:

This book came from a story idea I’ve had for probably twenty years. When I was younger, I often told myself stories in my head. They’d play out like films and could last me a couple days. (I’m not saying it’s normal, just saying it happened, LOL) Now that I’m a mom, this particular story is a little more meaningful. I always knew the book would be about a loyal roommate and an estranged brother trying to figure out what to do with the child that’s been left in their care, I just didn’t realize how emotional and fulfilling the story would become.

I decided to make it a series, playing around with the theme of ‘A Change in Plans.’

Uh… yeah, so, you’re going to need to tell me more about your series sometime because I loved The Start of Us. For now, give us a Synopsis for the book:

When Corrie Windsor's roommate dies in a car accident, she leaves behind her four-year-old daughter, Ella. Corrie loves the little girl and hopes to adopt her, but instead, she’ll have to stand by while Ella’s uncle steps in to take custody. If things aren’t awkward enough, there’s a chemistry between them that neither wants to acknowledge.

Preston Ford can’t imagine instant parenthood, especially considering he just chickened out of proposing to his girlfriend. However, once he meets Ella, there’s no other choice. The time he spends with her and Corrie solidifies an alliance between the three of them, a plan to give Ella the stability she needs. But reality can sometimes turn the best of plans upside down.

With more than one heart hanging in the balance, how long can their platonic teamwork really last? Romance has never been this complicated.

Swoon. I loved the story. I’ve read it twice! I love your characters, but in your own words, tell the readers about your main characters:

The point of view shifts between Corrie and Preston, two people who want to work together, but also want to protect themselves from heartache. Corrie is very level-headed and calm. Preston tends to say and do the wrong thing under stress. It’s a fun combination.

Which is your favorite minor character and why?

I love to create side characters that can say outrageous things and Shaun is no exception. He’s the funny voice of reason when Preston is being stubborn and Shaun will become the main character in the next book in the series. I’m excited and nervous about that.

Okay, I was wondering about that. Shaun seems like he’s got a cool story to tell. He’s flirtatious and bold, but a loyal friend and I like that. Not to put too much pressure on you, but I’d very much like for you to finish writing Shaun’s story so I can read it! Do you write and read every single day?

If I’m not writing I’m reading. Besides exchanging manuscripts with other writers, I just love to read.

I knew there was a reason we got along so well! I love to read and write, also. When I’m tired from writing all day, I’ll take a few more minutes to read. When you’re ready to exchange manuscripts, I volunteer as tribute!

Anyway, thank you, Rachel for joining us today and for sharing your stories and your writing experience! -Julie L. Spencer

About Rachel John:

Rachel John lives in Arizona with her husband and four crazy kids. When she's not shuttling them to soccer or piano, she loves to read, work on family history, and draw. Rachel thinks the best kinds of books are filled with awkward humor, and enjoys mixing that with sigh-inducing romance.

Follow Rachel John on social media:


Website and/or Blog: http://www.racheljohnwrites.com/





Other Books by Rachel John:






No comments: