Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Incense Is Symbolic of Prayer

I’ve always loved the smell of incense, and I knew it was mentioned in the Bible, but I didn’t realize its significance until I was studying in Exodus, Chapter 30, verses 7-8.

Most everything in the Bible involves symbolism – using a simple object or concept to represent something much more spiritual or profound. In this case, incense is a symbol of prayer!

Here is some background information from my study manual, and then I’ll pull it all together:

In Revelation 5:8 the people worshiping the Lamb (Jesus) had “golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of the Saints.”

In Revelation 8:3-4 an angel was given incense that he should “offer it with the prayers of all the Saints…and the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the Saints, ascended up before God out of the angel’s hand.”

Psalm 141:2 “Let my prayer be set before thee as incense.”

So, going back to Exodus Chapter 30:7-8, “Aaron shall burn…incense every morning” and evening, “a perpetual incense before the Lord throughout your generations.”

Putting it all together: Incense represents that we should pray always, but at the very least every morning and evening that our prayers may be lifted to God’s ears like smoke from incense rises to heaven!

It is my prayer that we should every one of us remember to lift our voices and call upon God for all that we need and to thank Him for all that we have! In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

What are your thoughts about prayers, incense or symbolism? What’s your opinion? –Julie L. Spencer