Sunday, March 12, 2017

Interview with the Author Liwen Ho



After reviewing Of Buds And Blossoms, I had the opportunity to interview Liwen Y. Ho and ask her a few questions about her writing.

How long have you been writing?

I’ve loved writing since childhood, but started regularly pursuing it when I started a blog in 2011. I started writing fiction for adults in 2014.

Have you always wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always wanted to publish a book, so I guess the answer is yes. ☺

How do you come up with your ideas for stories?

A lot of my inspiration comes from real life, from my own experiences or those around me, as well as the TV shows I watch.

Do you have/Have you had any other careers besides writing?

Does being a stay-at-home mom count? ☺ Before I had kids though, I worked in Human Resources at a biotech company and later on as a therapist at a couple of non-profit organizations and an elementary school.

Let’s talk more about your recent new release, Of Buds And Blossoms. Tell me about it:

This story is about one of my favorite themes of best friends falling in love. I just adore the familiarity of “old love” and how someone right in front of you can turn out to be “the one”.

Give us a Synopsis for the book:

Librarian Chloe McAlister finds solace in her books—and hats—but doesn’t know where to turn when her longtime crush gets engaged. On a whim, she signs up for a speed-dating mixer and convinces her best friend, Dill Thomas, to attend. All goes as planned until she realizes Dill means more to her than she thought ... and he goes and falls for someone else.

This 10,000-word short story is perfect for your lunch break, workout, or while you wait in line at the mall. Read it today to experience a hint of spring any time of the year!

What was the inspiration behind this story?

The male MC, Dill, was a very minor character from the second book in this series. He had one line in that story (“Men were made to appreciate fast cars, cool electronics, and hot girls.”), but intrigued me enough to give him his own story.

Tell us about your main characters:

Dill and Chloe met in college. He’s an ex-football player and a social butterfly. She’s a librarian and an introvert. They’re perfect opposites in the sense that they complement one another well. Chloe also has a cochlear implant as a result of losing the hearing in one ear after she got meningitis.

Which is your favorite minor character and why?

Macy, Chloe’s cousin, has shown up in two of the books in this series so far and is a fun and faithful friend. Spoiler alert: she’ll be getting her own story next!

Your character is at a bookstore. What book is in his/her hand right now?

Oh! Chloe works as a librarian, so this is right up her alley. She’d be holding Nicholas Sparks’s A Walk To Remember.

Please share a few favorite lines or one paragraph:

“Does this help?”

She stilled as a minty breeze blew across her forehead. Swallowing slowly, she opened her eyes to see Dill leaning over her with his lips puckered. It was a sight to see—a 170-pound brawny man, brows drawn together in concentration, blowing soft, gentle puffs of air over her. Air that caressed her skin like the cool side of a pillow. Wowsers. She couldn’t believe her eyes … or the way her heart was melting at his sweet gesture.

“You all right?” Dill brushed some hair off her face, the ends of which were damp with sweat. He studied her, remarking with concern, “You look confused. What’s on your mind?”

Honestly? She had a crazy urge to smooth the lines on his forehead and hold his face in her hands and kiss him, bristly beard and all.

Of all the books out there, why should readers choose this one? (What makes your book stand out from the rest?)

It’s the perfect short read for when you need a quick pick-me-up in your busy day. ☺

Let’s shift gears and talk more about your writing.

What is your favorite song(s) to listen to while writing?

I usually listen to love songs—emotional, slow, upbeat or hopeful ones, I love them all.

Have you ever named a character in honor of someone you know?

Yes, actually I do it quite often, but shh! ☺

At what moment did you feel like you could say, “NOW, I'm an author?”

Wow, great question. I think I finally felt like a real author after I was asked to join a boxed set last year. Also, more recently when a parent of my daughter’s classmate came up to me and said, “I overheard you’re an author!” I was both amused and shocked that someone was talking about me!

What is one of your favorite/go-to writing resources?

The thesaurus!

What other project are you working on now?

I have one more story (the summer one) to write in my Seasons of Love series. I also have two other books I need to write, which I’ll be able to share about later on this year!

Have you always liked to write?

Yes!

What book are you currently reading?

I wish I had more time to read. The last book I read was Someday With You by Ines Bautista-Yao (it’s a good one!).

Do you write/read every single day?

I do some writing-related thing every day, whether it’s brainstorming or marketing or actually writing.

Do you have any furry writing buddies? (Or scaled or feathered?)

Haha, we only have a guinea pig now and she is not a snuggler.

Liwen Ho, thank you for joining us today and for sharing your stories and your writing experience! -Julie L. Spencer

Author Bio:

Liwen Y. Ho writes sweet and inspirational romance infused with heart, humor and a taste of home (her Asian roots). She lives in California with her techie hubby and their two munchkins.

Follow Liwen on social media:

Twitter account: @2square2behip

Website and/or Blog: http://www.2square2behip.com/

Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/liwenho







Other Books by Liwen Ho:

Taking Chances Series:
Straight To You


True To You


Drawn To You


Seasons of Love Series:
The More The Merrier


A Spoonful Of Spice


Of Buds And Blossoms


Puppy Dog Tales


Tropical Kiss or Miss

No comments: