Thursday, September 28, 2017

Interview with the Author Lisa Rector


After reviewing SwitchingLives, I had the opportunity to interview Lisa Rector and ask her a few questions about her writing. (Read my book review of Switching Lives here)

How long have you been writing?

I started writing in February of 2013 and have four completed novels published on Createspace and Kindle in a series called The Emrys Chronicles. My books are about immortal beings, dragons, and the fight between light and dark inside each of us and around us.

My new release is a story about sisters (one of whom is a witch), called Switching Lives. I have several vampire stories in the works and even a few short stories. I go where my mind takes me. I love writing.

Have you always wanted to be a writer?

On a whim, an idea came to me. I never even played with the idea to write before, but I spent plenty of time dreaming up fantasies once my head hit the pillow at night. It was time to write them down.

How do you come up with your ideas for stories?

Anything and everything inspires me. I take inspiration from the scriptures, TV shows, books I’ve read, and dreams I’ve had. When I started my books, I was on a LOTR marathon and received most of my inspiration from those movies. Many of my characters are based off LOTR.

Now that I’ve been writing for four years, the ideas keep coming and I cannot write fast enough. I hope that as my writing improves the process goes faster.

Do you have any other careers besides writing?

I used to be a labor and delivery nurse, so I’m able to draw on those experiences for my novels. Since my series involves multiple generations instead of staying with the same characters, the stories tend to always have someone pregnant or having a baby. Often the pregnancies or deliveries have to do with the plot, so I’m really grateful for my knowledge.

Let’s talk more about your new release, Switching Lives.

Give us a Synopsis for the book:

Sisters should love each other, not covet each other’s husband.

Lexi Dahl wants to smooth over issues with her husband, Derick, during a weekend vacation, but a blissful night of making up turns to disaster when Lexi wakes and life is upside down. Derick thinks he’s married to her sister, Abby, and Lexi’s poor girls somehow believe Abby is their mother. At least her brother-in-law, Ben, knows he’s Abby’s real husband.

While Lexi and Ben sort out the marriage mix-up, evidence points to the impossible—a spell was cast. Even though Ben is sick of Abby’s lies and can move on with his life, he helps Lexi patch up hers. She’s determined to break the spell, but as secrets unfold and she and Ben draw closer, Lexi’s heart is divided between her old life and new possibilities—because finding her true self and true love could be just a botched spell away.

What was the inspiration behind this story?

I honestly can’t remember where the idea came from. Pretty sure it started out as a hazy dream, and the story evolved from there.

Tell us about your main characters:

Lexi Dahl is a happily married mother of two. In her eyes, her husband Derick is the ideal husband. “Life is perfect in all its chaos, and that’s what it is with two- and four-year olds.”

Derick Dahl is a hard-working trauma surgeon. His little girls are his world. “Lexi takes great care of [the girls]. I know she’s given up a lot and lost herself in motherhood, but I love her all the more for it.”

Benjamin Lindsey designs office spaces for upscale clients. He and his wife of five years wish for children of their own so they can emulate the perfect family that their in-laws Derick and Lexi have. “I didn’t think it would be this hard. Abby is certain [starting our own family] will only be a matter of time.”

Abigail Lindsey is a former registered nurse at the renowned National Cancer Institute. “We just need to simplify our lives. A baby will come along before Ben and I know it.”
Which is your favorite minor character and why?

I particularly like Ben. He has a biting personality and doesn’t take crap.

Your character is at a bookstore. What book is in his/her hand right now?

For a while Lexi was reading everything she could on witches so she could break the spell on her family, but she favors Scottish romances.

Of all the books out there, why should readers choose this one? (What makes your book stand out from the rest?)

This story has a contemporary feel even though it is technically a paranormal romance. I just loved playing up the dynamics between the two main characters Lexi and Ben. They start out as brother- and sister-in-law, helping each other out after a spell has been cast on them. Some crappy things happen to them, and they learn to lean on each other. Despite the novel’s paranormal bit, the premise feels so real. It’s real life, with all the nit and gritty. Readers will be able to relate to Lexi’s and Ben’s issues, while enjoying a bit of the paranormal, without being in a crazy world of vampires and werewolves.

Let’s shift gears and talk more about your writing.

What is your favorite music to listen to while writing?

I don’t write to music, but I take breaks and listen to music in between scenes and depending on the mood and tone, it will influence my writing.

Have you ever named a character in honor of someone you know?

Not really in honor of someone, but I steal names from everywhere. Most of my names for my emrys series are taken from Welsh names. I wanted names that were unusual. A few of my friends harped on the pronunciations, but I prefer my readers to say the names how they feel. That’s what I do with novels I read.

At what moment did you feel as if you could say, “NOW, I'm an author?”

When I opened the box with my first proof copy. As soon as the physical book was in my hand, that made all the difference in the world.

What is one of your favorite/go-to writing resources?

I have copied and pasted so many documents and writing notes off the internet that I’ve made my own Writing Your Novel from the Beginning guide. It takes me step-by-step through the writing process.

What other project are you working on now?

My garden changes every year. I have raised veggie beds. So far, I’ve been able to keep a lemon and a lime tree alive for over three winters. I’ve already harvested some of the fruit!

I’m really involved with my church. I teach the women’s Sunday school lessons on occasion, and help new converts learn about my faith.

And the latest side project—I’m creating a version of the Game of Life based on the TV show Grey’s Anatomy. It will be tragic. Let’s just say those with the least about of negative points will be the winner because this game of life has tons of disasters just like the show.

What book are you currently reading?

The Change (Unbounded Series Book 1) by Teyla Branton. Fantastic story and fantastic author.

Do you write/read every single day?

I have every intention. I write during the day and read at night.

Do you have any furry writing buddies? (Or scaled or feathered?)

I have gone through tons of cats, and right now, I am catless. They’re all buried on the mountain in, what my parents have, a thriving pet cemetery. The last cat I lost was the hardest, and because of my husband’s allergies, we can’t have anymore.

Lisa Rector, thank you for joining us today and for sharing your stories and your writing experience! –Julie L. Spencer


Author Bio:

Lisa Rector is a Maryland native and can’t imagine living anywhere else. And no, she doesn’t like crabs or Old Bay Seasoning. A mountain girl at heart, occasionally, every so often, she drifts down to the coast and floats away on the beachy breezes.

She married her high school sweetheart for time and all eternity in the Washington D.C. Temple after she fell in love with his endless sense of humor. She enjoyed a short stint as a labor and delivery nurse before becoming a stay-at-home mom for her two beautiful daughters. In addition to her newfound love of writing, her passions are gardening, yoga, and her faith in Jesus Christ. Her favorite delights are decadent homemade cakes, cookies, or brownies—never store-bought.

She has four published romantic fantasy novels. The Emrys Chronicles. Her novels are an ingenious look at the power of divine light inside immortals and humans, the ability to harness the energy, and the choices a person must make when darkness interferes.

Her newest release is a paranormal romance called Switching Lives.

Follow Lisa Rector on social media:

Twitter account: @lisarectoremrys
Website / Blog: Perpetual Indie Perspective
Amazon Author Page: Lisa-Rector
Goodreads Profile: Lisa_Rector
Google+ Profile: Lisa Rector
Facebook Author Page: AuthorLisaRector


Check out other books by Lisa Rector

Switching Lives

The Emrys Chronicles:



No comments: